Wednesday, April 24, 2013

the letter

Dear Wesley,
Where's my letter?
Signed your friend,
Toni
Letter writing seems to be a dying art form these days. Facebook, Twitter and e-mail have done away with sending messages, except for the occasional Christmas card. Randomly I send letters or cards to folks whenever the mood strikes (usually at Easter and during the summer). In most cases, people either write me back or at least acknowledge receiving the correspondence. Such was not the case with a certain celebrity.

Last spring I read an article about movie director Spike Lee visiting actor Wesley Snipes. Poor Wesley was sentenced in 2010 to three years in prison for not filing taxes. Spike tweeted "Send Your Prayers And Blessings To Our Brother Mr. Wesley Snipes. Your Letters Will Mean The World To Him.” I took those words to heart and grabbed a card from my stash (I have at least 20 different cards for all occasions) to pen a few encouraging words to Brother Wesley.

Off the letter went the next day, and I figured in a few weeks Wesley would write back. What else did he have to do in federal prison except sit-ups? Well Wesley was released from prison earlier this month, but HE NEVER WROTE BACK! Between making license plates and staying in shape, he could have sent a quick reply. Maybe my lack of  a response was because I didn't include money for his commissary. Well that wasn't about to happen. He should have saved some of Uncle Sam's dollars for that purpose.

Several of my friends think it is hilarious that I even sent a letter in the first place. I only sent one because Spike Lee made it seem like Wesley wanted pen pals. Not to mention the fact this messed up my potential book deal. I envisioned a whole series of letters exchanged between us that would one day be published into a New York Times bestseller. Of course a couple of titles were already in mind: "Writing Wesley" or "A Curious Correspondence." Hollywood would soon come calling for a movie deal. Wesley would play himself (or Idris Elba) and Teyonah Parris could play me. The screenplay would be written by me, and the movie would sweep the Oscars. Wesley and I would make the talk show circuit, and eventually OWN would give me a show. That wasn't asking for too much. All Wesley had to do was write back.

I am too through with Wesley Snipes. He just couldn't play his part right. Luckily, I've got my eyes on a new celebrity. Lauryn Hill is facing prison time any day now. She needs the money and might be more willing to play her part right. Besides "Letters to Lauryn" has a much better ring anyway for a book title.

How often do you send letters to others?  Would you have written Wesley Snipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment