Wednesday, January 7, 2015

packing habit

In exactly one week yours truly will be sailing the high seas for a five-day cruise to the Western Caribbean. I'm leaving from Miami and heading to Key West and Mexico. The packing process has already started in anticipation of the event.

Once upon a time I used to be the person who packed at the very last moment. And by last moment I mean an hour or so before I was supposed to leave. Surprisingly I never forgot anything important. Granted there were a few occasions my last minute packing caught up with me and I had to break down and buy something I already had a gazillion of at home. I blame my parents. They pack hours before leaving. Needless to say I copied their example for many years.

It wasn't until August 2012 I started to get into the habit of packing in advance. My best friend and I were going on a cruise. It was my first cruise ever. I packed a couple of days in advance for fear of leaving something that I wouldn't be able to find on the seven seas. By the time my Europe Trip in 2013 rolled around in March I had packed almost two weeks in advance. Now at the very least  I pack a week in advance for a trip.

Packing for a major trip makes me excited. Sometimes it's so much excitement that I forget something. So it's a good thing I pack well enough in advance, complete with lists to check off, to make sure I have it all together. Heaven forbid I  end up ready to board a plane or the boat and realize my passport was left behind.

4 comments:

  1. This describes my sister and I to a tee!!
    I am the last minute packer, I've done a couple things beforehand but the bulk of it gets tossed into my suitcase as we go out the door.
    My sister has her list and sets everything out in piles before carefully arranging it in her bags. It's insane! My favourite was when she was packed for the first day of school a MONTH early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol your sister sounds super organized! I'm not that good yet

      Delete
  2. The passport is the first thing I grab when we're going to travel. If I'm flying, the airline confirmation printout. I've even thought of writing up a permanent list of essentials to put in my empty suitcase so I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time. We try to travel light, so some planning ahead is crucial. The less we travel, the harder it is to remember what we'll need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always dream about leaving my passport because it happened to my roommate before we were leaving for Europe.

      Delete