Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Green-I-am

Would you like green eggs and ham?
Green Eggs and Ham always was hilarious to me. Sam-I-am was just so persistent about getting the other character to eat the dish. The story was a good example of how we should be open to trying new things. Not to long ago I had my own green eggs and ham experience.

We all know it's important to eat our vegetables. But what about drinking them? A few months ago even suggesting that I drink vegetables would have gotten you a massive side eye (o_O). But somehow overnight I've converted into a green smoothie fanatic. My play cousin was the Sam-I-am to my unnamed character who refused the  green eggs and ham.

It all started one night while we were chatting. She was drinking a spinach smoothie, and I said it was weird. Now I do so love spinach, but the thought of drinking it repulsed me to no end. It had to be disgusting and probably tasted like Earth. My PC insisted it was delicious and said I should try one. My response was along the lines of, "I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere." I've never cared for tomato juice, carrot juice or V8 Splash. A green smoothie would be no different. Vegetables were meant to be eaten not drunk in my opinion.

Over the next few days PC continued drinking her green smoothies, and I kept making snarky comments about them. Nevertheless she still  encouraged me to try one. I flat out told her I would NEVER drink a green smoothie because I didn't like the thought of it. Until one day curiosity got the best of me. My mother order a spinach and kale smoothie, and I demanded a sip just so I could tell my PC I tried one. IT WAS DELICIOUS. I only tasted mango and couldn't even tell the veggies were in there. That first sip got me interested in trying more green smoothie combinations.

These days I'm a changed woman. I went from refusing to drink any green smoothies to consuming two a day. It took some playing around with ingredients, but I have found my perfect combination: 8 oz of apple juice, 1 banana, 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple, 1/2 cup of oatmeal and two big handfuls of spinach. I drink one for breakfast and another for dinner. Not only does it taste delicious, but it's healthy and filling. Now I am telling everyone about the green gospel. Maybe you don't like spinach. Make a smoothie with kale, lettuce or cabbage. Just try it at least once. To quote Sam-I-am, "You do not like them. SO you say. Try them! Try them! And you may. Try them and you may I say."

What green smoothies have you tried? What would you not eat here or there?

No comments:

Post a Comment