Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Goodbye Green Machine



What the Green Machine looked like in its glory days.
The Green Machine is no more. It fought the good fight and finished its course. My beloved first car has gone on to the great car lot in the sky. Contrary to its appearance and lack of maintenance I did indeed love the Green Machine. How could I not love it? It was my favorite color, kept on chugging along with nary a complaint and got me from point A to point B. I can fondly tell you about every single dent, scratch or spray painted spot on that car.

That car drove me all over Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. It was always down for a road trip in addition to the daily tasks of getting me to work. We made it through snow, rain, smoke and much more. The Green Machine might have been a little Honda Civic, but it had the heart of an all-terrain vehicle. My beloved car was faithful until the end. It never broke down –until last Friday.

 I blame my friends and family. The Green Machine was running just fine until they started talking about it like a dog. And while riding in it nonetheless. “You should drive this car to the dealership and drive off with a new one,” said one. “How can you ride in that deathtrap?” said another. “That car looked wonderful when I gave it to you,” said my father. Poor Green Machine couldn’t take all that abuse. It was a sensitive soul despite the tough exterior. It had been driving all week for the Great American North Florida Tour with stops in Jacksonville, Lake City, Gainesville and Palatka. But finally it gave up the ghost.

In all fairness it was my own fault. I pushed the Green Machine so much and never took it in for maintenance. I should have taken better care of it. I wanted to keep it until December 2015.  Such might have been the case if I had actually performed regular maintenance. Now my dear friend is gone. But it won’t ever be forgotten. Hopefully the dealership fixes it up so the Green Machine can bring joy to another traveler instead of sending it to the junk yard.

These last few days without the Green Machine have been rough.  Even now I can’t believe it’s gone and look for it every day. Don’t get me wrong, I do so love my new car, Regina aka The Blue Light Special. And I pledge to take much better care of her. For she is a queen among cars. But there is an empty spot in my heart that appeared when I left the Green Machine behind. I didn’t even get to say a proper goodbye because it was freezing cold. The tears will continue to flow for a while, but one day I will get over the Green Machine. Sleep on Green Machine and take your rest. I loved you, but the car lot loved you best.

How did you feel about your first car? Who’s attending the memorial service for the Green Machine?

2 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of my 1st car: a Honda named Silver Streak. Rest well Green Machine :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about your first car!

      Delete