Monday, March 31, 2014

Reflections on my grandmother



Unfortunately my grandma passed away a few weeks ago. It was a shock to the family, and no one is really taking it well. She was my last living grandparent and the only one to see me reach almost every single milestone (graduating from high school, college, getting a first job, getting a better job, buying my first car). The only things she won't get to see is me getting married, having children or graduating with a master's. On the program I gave reflections as a grandchild. Though I spoke from the heart, there was actually a written draft which appears below:

Visiting or calling my Grandma Pearl has always felt like second nature. How could it not be? She was a part of my life from the moment I was born. Her house was one of my first homes. I know many of my cousins can say the same thing. Sundays at First Titus were always an opportunity to see her in the role of church mother. And I used to get a kick out of riding with my daddy to pick Grandma up from work at St. Catherine’s.

She was truly the matriarch of our family, but before I even could comprehend what the word meant, she was simply Grandma Pearl. Yes, I shared her with a host of other grandchildren and great-grandchildren, but Grandma could always make each of us feel special and as if we were the only one who existed.

Grandma loved each of us and let it show not just in words but actions. She always seemed to know what role was needed for us, whether it was comforter, disciplinarian or best friend. If nothing else, she equally fussed at us, especially if we sat on her babies in the living room. But any fussing was done with love. She was one feisty lady and we loved her for it. One of the best things about grandma is we could talk to her with no fear of judgment. She was always a great conversationalist, but an even better listener.

One of my greatest joys was sitting with Grandma Pearl at the kitchen table while she was working on a word search and talking about everything from my latest trips to stories of her growing up. Oh and I can’t forget her lovingly fussing at me and saying, “Ms. Sunday when are you going to get married?” It wasn’t a visit until we joked about that.

It’s going to be hard not to call Grandma with my latest news, sit next to her at church on grandparents day or simply hear her say, “What are you doing here little girl,” when I pull up to Calloway Circle. I miss my Grandma Pearl. We all do, but we can take solace in the fact that she was a strong Christian woman and is now resting in the bosom of the Savior. So I’ll keep all my fond memories of Grandma Pearl in my heart until one day we are reunited.

My favorite line from the movie John Q is when the son says, “No goodbye, you know I don’t like goodbyes. See you later!” So Grandma Pearl I’m not telling you goodbye. I’ll just say see you later. I love you grandma.


2 comments:

  1. God bless you Toni! This was beautiful. As my only living grandparent,grandma as well, begins to age quickly, your words touched me.

    ReplyDelete