Thursday, December 31, 2015

Watch the New Year

I enjoy a good New Year’s Eve party like the next person, but this year I will be attending Watchnight Service at church.


According to Wikipedia, "A watchnight service is a late-night Christian church service. In many different Christian traditions, a watchnight service is held late on New Year's Eve, and ends after midnight. This provides the opportunity for Christians to review the year that has passed and make confession, and then prepare for the year ahead by praying and resolving. The services often include singing, praying, exhorting, and preaching. Watchnight service has added significance and history in the African-American community in the United States, since many slaves were said to have gathered in churches on New Year's Eve, in 1862, to await news and confirmation of the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation by President Abraham Lincoln, on January 1, 1863."

My family has always attended Watchnight service for as long as I can remember. In fact, it wasn't until I had graduated from college that I actually didn't attend it. I used to host Birthday/New Year's Eve parties and would conveniently avoid going. But a few years ago I decided to go to Watchnight Service instead. Yours truly is a work in progress when it comes to her Christian walk and relationship with God. But I really did enjoy the service, and have been going ever since (except the year my friends came into town for my birthday).

The service typically features singing, testimonies (or testalying), a sermon and more. As an adult, I don’t attend Watchnight out of habit, but because it is something I genuinely enjoy. That lets me know I’m headed in the right direction with God. Desire, not habit, should form the basis of your relationship. But I digress. Wherever you bring in the New Year, make sure it’s a safe one.


What are your New Year’s Eve plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment