Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Character costumes

I would make a great Susie!
In just a few short days Halloween will be here. I plan on enjoying Fla-Ga festivities in Jacksonville instead of passing out candy to the kids this year. And right now I have no immediate plans for really dressing up.


I didn’t dress up for Halloween as a child, but I have worn “costumes” a few times for parties as an adult. Usually they are based on stuff I already have at home because I am the laziest person ever when it comes to dressing up.
 Take for instance the newsie costume.  Basically I wore some Bermuda shorts, a white t-shirt, a newsboy hat, a bandana and carried a stack of papers. I also was a little kid one year, meaning I wore my PJs, carried a blanket and a Teddy bear.  I did actually don a real costume (Tinkerbelle complete with a wand and wings) a few years ago – but that was only because it was free. Those wings were actually quite annoying.
Perhaps in the future I’ll be in the mood to dress up. If I do, it’s not going to be one of those sleazy costumes showing all the goods. Instead I shall choose a costume that is comfortable and nostalgic. Something that reflects one of my favorite childhood cartoon characters, such as:
1.       The Peanuts Gang from It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. Literally all you need for this costume is a white sheet with eye holes (multiple ones if you’re Charlie Brown), and a bag for holding candy. A few of the costumes, such as Lucy, had a mask or hat, but there is no need for all that.
2.       Susie Carmichael from The Rugrats (Anjelica and Cynthia are a close second). All I need is a yellow dress with purple flowers, some purple leggings, red shoes and my hair in three ponytails with pink flowers. Honestly this would be my costume if I had a yellow dress.
3.       Carmen Sandiego from Where is Carmen Sandiego? Who wouldn’t want to rock a red trench coat and red floppy hat?
4.       Patti Mayonnaise or Judy Funnie from Doug. Patti was the coolest girl around. And Judy was the first hipster. Either of them would be fun.
5.       Helga Pataki from Hey Arnold! Helga was my favorite character on the show. She had deep thoughts for just a fourth grader. But the Arnold shrine was a bit much.
6.       Mandy from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. I loved Mandy because she was just so mean! She ran the Grim Reaper.
7.       Numbuh Five from Code Name Kids Next Door. Numbuh Five was a force to be reckoned with. No challenge was too much for her.
8.       Elmyra from Tiny Toon Adventures. I love cats. I love kitties. Squeeze them into itty bitties. Elmyra loved hard and wasn’t ashamed of it.
9.       Any of the girls from Histeria. This show was so underrated. I learned a lot of history in a funny, off the wall sort of way. I loved Aka Pella because of the afro puffs.
10.   Didi from Dexter’s Laboratory. I was an intern at the Museum of Science and History in Jacksonville and sometimes we had assignments such as dress up like a character for a family event. I was Didi (because the character costume was for someone at least 5”5). Those costumes were hot!
My list could go on and on, so I shall end it here. What costume are you wearing? What character would you pick? I


No comments:

Post a Comment