Wednesday, June 13, 2012

hair and there again

This June marks seven years of being natural. Yay! I was natural before it was such a widespread movement. Most of the popular natural hair blogs, Youtube videos and even product lines were hardly on the radar. Initially most of my natural hair journey was trial and error. Now I have vast pieces of knowledge at my fingertips. Every day I'm learning more and more about what and what not to use in my hair, cool ways to style it and so forth. My Writing Wednesday posts for June will be dedicated to natural hair in honor of my seven years.


Some people like to window shop for clothes, shoes and other accessories or items. I window shop for hair products. There is a repressed product junky inside of me. I can't ever let her out because if I do my room will be filled with hundreds of half used hair products.

Every time I see a review for a new hair product I start salivating. Each product just looks so enticing based on the reviewer's words. If they like it, I want to get it immediately. It makes me think, "The product did wonders for their hair, surely it will have the save effect on mine." Then again if reviewers dislike a product I still want it. "Everyone's head is different so maybe that is the product for me," I rationalize. My list of hair products and items I want number more than 100. It includes items such as Kinky Curly's Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and good old Dax Pomade.

But I am determined to keep my wannabe product junky side at bay. Turning into a bonafide product junky could be hazardous. Not only will it cause clutter, but I could go broke. Have you seen the price of some of those hair products? Knot Today is $12 for an 8 oz bottle. You have got to be kidding me? The smoothie is a good $9. Only Dax is less than $4. I'm a person who likes to generously apply product to my hair. That stuff would be gone in a month with me. So every month I would have to get more products. And just imagine if I see some new ones I want in addition to the staples.

When I get the urge to buy some new products I just walk around hair stores, without my debit card, at look at every item. That helps curb the desire somewhat (it also sparks interests in new products). For now I'm keeping the hair product shelf simple: pure shea butter, water, Organix Olive Oil Sheen Spray, Garnier Fructis Fortfiying Shampoo and Conditioner and The Barefruit Company Daily Moisturizing Spray. I'll replace them with new products only after I run out. Otherwise I'll feed the product junky within.



1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I'm in my first year of going natty. I love it too. Now, I can't see going any other way.

    Chap
    www.insaneasylumblog.com

    ReplyDelete