Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Party Planning Woes Part I

Writing is therapeutic for me. I might seriously maim someone if I didn’t write out my feelings in a journal or on a blog (which I use to chronicle things that are just too long to write by hand). I present a series on my biggest stressor right now – planning a bachelorette party!

If someone would have told me beforehand that planning a bachelorette party was going to be a massive headache, I might have gracefully bowed out of the position.

My oldest friend (we go back to the crib literally) declared me the Maid of Honor for her wedding taking place in November. Her sister is Matron of Honor and is planning the bridal shower. My job is the bachelorette party. For some reason I thought it would be a piece of cake.

Instead of the traditional one-day party, the plan was to host a weekend getaway. The bride gave me several options of where she wanted to go, with Miami as the favorite. *Mya said she wanted to party the whole weekend wherever we went. My goal was to keep everything a secret, from the location to the activities. The only thing she could know was when we were leaving.

With that in mind, I began the planning. Mya mentioned another bridesmaid wanted to help with the planning, and I happily welcomed the assistance. I contacted *Lynn via FB to get the ball rolling on Feb. 19. I should have sensed trouble when after giving her my number she never would respond back with hers. Our communication only took place via Facebook. Big mistake!

At first Lynn was helpful. She agreed with the Miami location because the bride had never been there and really wanted to go. She didn’t care too much for the price though ($500) saying it would cut into peoples’ holiday Monday (we’re going the first weekend in November). She also suggested a plethora of activities. The problem began with the hotels. I sent Lynn a list of three hotel options on South Beach April 12. South Beach is not by any means inexpensive, but if you want to party that’s the place to be in Miami.

Lynn wanted to check out more hotels and was supposed to get back to me with information by the next day. I didn’t hear anything for awhile and sent a message to check up on what she was doing April 28. Still no response. My final message was May 8. At that point I couldn’t be bothered anymore and proceeded to plan everything without her.

To be continued...  

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent (Mya )and not-so innocent (Lynn).

2 comments:

  1. Before I finish the next parts, I can already imagine where this is going!! Planning is fun, you are a trooper to try and keep it all a secret from the bride though.

    ReplyDelete