Thursday, June 20, 2013

the silent game



Last weekend I attended an improv show in Jax with a new friend. She rode with me to the show, but her fiancé was picking her up later. Not long after it ended, the fiancé was on his way. The show was in the downtown area, and somehow he got lost. Considering the roads and layouts of downtown, that’s not too hard to do.


When he finally reached our location, we both got in the car (so they could drop me off at mine). Soon as I entered I said, “Hi. How are you doing?” Silence. I simply assumed he didn’t hear me speak. She then introduced us, and I tried a second time, “Hello. Nice to meet you.” Silence again. By now I’m thinking to myself, “Is he deaf, dumb or both.” She proceeded to ask him how he got lost. More silence. It was as if he was angry and decided to punish us with the silent treatment. Needless to say, I was glad when that awkward two-minute car ride was over.

Apparently his parents didn’t teach him any manners. You’re supposed to respond when people speak to you, especially when it’s cordial. Also first impressions must mean nothing to him. His actions make me wonder about his personality. Red flags definitely went off in my mind. Is he controlling, abusive or just a douche? I don’t know this girl well enough to get in her business. The first time we met, her mother said for us to exchange numbers because she needed positive influences in her life. To me it seemed like she already had it together. Now In the back of my mind I keep wondering if that statement was in reference to the rude fiancé.

I did some Facebook stalking and discovered he’s 40. You would think at that age he knows better. Why would she even want to be with a jack like that? But that’s her cross to bear. Hopefully my new friend and I hang out again in the future. If so, I hope to avoid the fiancé. Otherwise I’m not speaking. You’ve only got one time to not speak to me. Two can play the silent game.

No comments:

Post a Comment