Sunday, March 6, 2011

Puberty … the return

Remember the days of puberty? Who can forget that magical time when the body went crazy? Eventually you grew into it. One of the biggest parts of puberty is acne which is triggered by hormones. My acne was really bad and required a trip to the dermatologist at one point. It calmed down by college, and gone were those days of giant pimples all over my face. Or so I thought until now.

My face is starting to look like puberty all over again. The acne has returned and with a vengeance. This is a scene from “Puberty II: Pimple Harder.” Something is causing me to break out, and I don’t like it. Not. One. Bit. It was hard enough to go through my younger years as a zit face. Must I face that again as an adult?


Acne affects 25 percent of all men and 50 percent of women at some time in their adult lives, according to Acne.org. At least I’m not the only character in “Puberty II.” The site also stated one third of adults affected with facial acne also have it on their body. I’m a member of that club too. "Recent epidemiological studies show that there appears to be an increase in post-adolescent acne, and that the disease is lasting longer and is requiring treatment well into the mid forties," according to a 2004 International Journal of Cosmetic Science article. Are you kidding me? I refuse to be middle-age with pimples.

Several things lead to adult acne including: stress, PMS and cosmetics. I’ve had the PMS flare ups before. Those last a day or two. My hair products can be oily, and I’ve change items and certain styles to avoid any problems. I’ve worked in a high stress environment for several years with no problems. What gives now?

This has all led me to one conclusion: I’m going through puberty again. Help, the end is near! OK it probably is just stress catching up with me. Perhaps I need to woo sah just a little bit more. And I’ve started washing my face three times a day. I kicked pimples in puberty. I can do it again as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment