Sunday, November 25, 2012

baby it's cold outside

Sometimes I forget which season is the current one we're in at the moment. Blame it on Florida weather. The weather ranges from hot to really hot. Occasionally we try to throw in something else called less hot. When it's "less hot," natives know to dress in layers for it will indeed be "cold" in the morning, but by noon the temperature will rise to 75 degrees again. That wool coat will be overkill come lunchtime when you are sweating like a pig. At least that was the case last week.

This morning I woke up cold. My cocoon of warmth wasn't quite providing the heat I needed. Then I stepped outside and realized why. It was cold. Not cool, less hot or just hot. COLD. My first thought was, "Why is it so cold outside?" And then it hit me - elsewhere in the U.S. it's cold. Apparently it's time for Florida to get a taste too. Less hot has officially gone out the window. Winter has reached Florida. We don't have a fall. We just skip straight to winter.

Cold weather has never really appealed to me. I prefer heat any day. But sometimes it is nice to celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's on a cooler day. There's just something about being in short sleeves and shorts on those days that doesn't seem quite right. I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas at all (especially in Florida). But maybe, just maybe I'll get to wear my coat all day for once and actually need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment