Tuesday, November 13, 2012

No Shave November

You won't catch me out in public with my hairy legs showing.
“Sometimes I shave my legs, and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I comb my hair, and sometimes I won’t. Depend on how the wind blows I might even paint my toes. It really just depends on whatever feels good in my soul ...” Video by India.Arie


A few weeks ago the boyfriend of one of my close friends got upset when he discovered she had bought Spanx, a type of shape wear. My friend isn’t fat by any means, and the Spanx only enhanced her hourglass figure. However, he was livid about the purchase and at one point said she had to choose either the Spanx or wearing makeup. In his opinion she should be “all natural.” He wanted her to get rid of the Spanx, stop wearing makeup and cut the relaxer out her hair. My other friends and I said if he truly wanted her all natural that meant no shaving, brushing teeth or wearing deodorant. We started chanting "No Shave November" and said we would participate to make a statement to him.

During No Shave November men avoid shaving their beards and women neglect their legs and underarms. I’m not sure if the rest of my friends are actually participating in the movement (they probably aren’t), but I decided to give it a try. It’s not that hard for me because of my tortured past. I have a confession. I used to never shave my legs. Wearing dresses (shorts and skirts too) was something I hated for several years, and I rocked pants 24/7. As a result, I felt shaving my legs was pointless if no one was going to see them. The only shaving I did was under my arms. Don’t judge me.

These days I love dresses thanks to the efforts of my fantastic friend Cee. During the summer time I keep my legs as clean as possible. But soon as that cold weather sweeps in I lose the razor for a few months. Not because I stop wearing dresses in the winter. I just know I can throw on some tights to hide my hairy legs. Of course since I live in Florida it’s only cold like one day a week (usually I still have to shave lest I become a hairy beast). But I am determined to stand my ground and not shave during the month of November (mainly because I'm out of razors).

No comments:

Post a Comment