Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Good reads

I'm a regular book worm.
The library is one of my favorite places in the world. It has books, glorious books, all over the place. Usually I pick up three to four books on every visit. Mystery is my favorite genre, but I have been known to check out a few other categories. Sometimes I head to the library armed with a list of particular books I want. Other times I pick up what catches my fancy while browsing the shelves. Here's what I got on my latest trip:

The lost symbol by Dan Brown. I liked “The Da Vinci Code” and enjoyed “Angels & Demons.” It seemed quite natural to pick this one up too. Unfortunately Brown's works are starting to seem a little too similar. I kind of stopped reading this one after the first 100 pages. It is interesting. Unfortunately I know how it's all going to play out already (and not because I read the Wikipedia page on it). Maybe I'll pick it up again after I finish reading the other books in the pile.

When the thrill is gone by Walter Mosley. The Easy Rawlings mysteries by Mosley are my favorite book series of all time. He sort of ended the series, and I became extremely sad. Who would be my detective crush? Then he started the Leonid McGill mysteries. I am in love again. All is right with life.

Minion: a vampire huntress legend by L.A. Banks. I never read any of her works but felt compelled to pick up at least once after she recently died. It doesn’t hurt that I semi-love paranormal fiction. Hopefully I like the book. If not, I probably won’t bother reading the entire series. There are about 13 books in it.

Waiting to exhale by Terry McMillan. I’ve seen the movie 50 million times. I’ve also read other books by McMillan. Yet, I never picked up this particular book for some reason. It wasn’t until she released the sequel that I really wanted to read it. I didn’t want to read the second before the first. The movie was great, but you know directors always leave or change parts of the book. I want to see the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment