Thursday, November 10, 2011

52 Weeks of Memories: Week I

What's more memorable than trivia?
My goal is to “Get up, get out and do something” and create 52 weeks of memories for my New Year’s theme. Week one gets a nice gold star.

Wednesday I went to a weekly trivia night at a local bar restaurant. The hostess had invited me several weeks ago, and I decided to finally go. I’ve never been to a trivia night in a restaurant setting and didn’t really know what to expect. Apparently you’re supposed to have a team. Yours truly had no friends, or at least none who could attend. Poor little old me. The hostess asked if I wanted to be placed with a team, but I didn’t want to interrupt someone else’s group dynamics. Yes, even I can be shy. So I formed a one woman team, Solo Dolo Star.

The questions started off easy. Current events and food, I know. TV, not so much. I played for several rounds until a woman came up and said, “Hey how are you doing?” At first I thought it was someone I had interviewed during my previous life as a reporter. But I couldn’t place her face or name. Turns out she was just a friendly person who noticed the lone black girl in a sea of white (I definitely stuck out). She tried to get me to sit at the bar but realized I was playing trivia and took me to a team instead. Some friends of hers, a married couple, were missing members. The next thing I knew a new team was formed, Short Sale.

My super new team worked together to answer questions ranging from how many bedrooms are there in the game Clue (none) to what is the Caped Crusader plus Don Quixote (Batman of la Mancha). Ultimately we came in fifth place. But it was a great bonding experience for us. They even paid for my bill. The couple said I must come back next week. With our powers combined we could place third or higher.

I’m glad I went to trivia night. I most definitely will make plans to come again. And now I have a team to join. If only I could remember their names.

No comments:

Post a Comment