Saturday, November 12, 2011

All by myself

Hopefully I don't look this sad while alone.
My experience of going to Trivia Night alone on Wednesday got me thinking (which can sometimes be dangerous). How often do I avoid doing something because I don’t want to go alone? Actually not that often. I’ve always been a “the more the merrier” type of girl. In college I was quite co-dependent. I had a group of friends and we literally did everything together. It wasn’t until the SPLIT (long story short we moved in together, had a big falling out and now I don’t speak to anyone in the group) I finally ended my co-dependency. I gained some new friends, but my activities didn’t have to be the same as theirs. In a way this was helping me prepare for when I moved to Georgia and had no friends.

That first year in Hartwell I did everything alone. Movies, concerts, Christmas. I was all alone. The arrival of Cee is Athens down the road added a partner in crime for my escapades. I wouldn’t say I was co-dependent, but it was nice to have someone to hang with.

Things are much more fun when you have a friend. For instance when I went spend dating alone, it was OK but not too memorable. However, it was a laugh-a-palooza when my roommate joined me the second time. Imagine going to Florida-Georgia weekend festivities alone? Or what about the fair? There are just some activities not meant to be enjoyed alone. However, there are quite a few that don’t require a friend:

1. Visiting the library. You’re supposed to be quiet in there anyway. Stroll up and down the aisles looking for the perfect book in silence.

2. Going to the movies. Another place where silence is appreciated. If I wanted on everyone to see the movies I wanted I would never make it to the theater.

3. Shopping. I sometimes feel stressed when shopping with a friend. By myself I can go at my own pace.

4. Lunch. It’s nothing for me to take a good book with me while enjoying lunch.

Of course all of these places are more fun with a friend. What isn’t? But if a friend isn’t handy enjoy them alone.

1 comment:

  1. I am really happy u find friends and u are having a lot of fun with them. I wish all the happiness for u and your friends

    ReplyDelete